Pages

Labels

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Maruthi Pramanam 2

 A Perfect Gentleman
Sri Hanuman won Sri Rama's admiration by his civil manners and elegant use of language. He always behaved in a gentlemanly way offering proper respect with folded hands. He is courteous to friends and foes alike, to the point of inquiring about Ravana's welfare before delivering Sri Rama's challenge of war. Sri Hanuman's statements were filled with elegant phrases.
Even in war He remained a gentleman respectful of the codes of warfare. For example, in the final battle with Ravana, Sri Hanuman was struck by Ravana. He retaliated with a blow of his own. Ravana could withstand Sri Hanuman’s blow but remarked, "You are a worthy enemy." Sri Hanuman replied, "I do not care for your compliments. I am ashamed that after my blow you are still alive." Ravana turned to fight Nila, another monkey warrior. Sri Hanuman, however, did not interfere, as it was against warrior codes to interrupt another person’s battle. He was a perfect warrior-gentleman.
A Great Jnani
Once Sri Rama asked Sri Anjaneya how He considered Him. Sri Anjaneya replied, "When I identify myself with the body, O Lord, I am Thy creature, eternally separate from Thee. When I identify myself with the Soul, I am a spark of that Divine Fire which Thou art. But when I identify myself with the Atma, I and Thou art one."

An Eternal Servitor
When Sri Rama expressed His gratitude for the many services Sri Hanuman had rendered saying that He felt much indebted that His own life was not enough compensation for all that Sri Hanuman had done for Him. For Him, Sri Rama was the means as well as the goal. For Him no position is nobler than being called a servant of Sri Rama. His life scintillates with unqualified obedience to Sri Rama, strict observance of celibacy, courage, absolute and total faith in the name of Sri Rama. For all His services to Sri Rama He asked for only one thing in life. "Please give me the blessing that my affection for you should never diminish. Do not allow me to think of anything else. I want to live as long as your name is preserved among the sons of men. Let me be forever and forever be your devotee."

A Self Surrendered Servant
The life of a man is bound to be full of problems and difficulties and the task before him is to learn to cope with them. The way shown by Sri Hanuman is to hand over oneself to the Lord who will then help to surmount them. This handing over is called surrender.
A Great Musician, Grammarian & Scriptural Authority
Sri Hanuman is an accomplished musician. Vedic texts describe that He daily sings songs of Sri Rama and is able to discourse on ragas and other traditional musical motifs. Valmiki also describes Him as a Sanskrit grammarian, a learned linguist, and a scholar capable of quoting scriptural law to Ravana in an effort to convince him to release Sita Devi.
His Concern
When Sri Hanuman saw Sri Rama grieving over the loss of Sita Devi, He offered well chosen words of consolation. At one point, in great humility, He said that an ordinary monkey like Him could do nothing except jumping from one tree to another. Sri Rama embraced him out of gratitude, but Sri Hanuman was embarrassed and said that He did not deserve such high praise.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Archive

Blogroll

About